Flu season is in full swing… Are you prepared?
National news is reporting that this year’s flu season has hit hard throughout the country. Twenty-nine states and New York City have reported high levels of flu activity, which is up from 16 states last week. The flu is widespread in 41 states, up from 31, according to the latest figures from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Reports are showing that this year’s flu season is about five weeks ahead of the average flu season. As of the week ending December 29, there were 2,257 people hospitalized with the flu and 18 children had died from complications of the illness, as reported by the CDC. The common fear is that it has only begun and could be the worst flu season in decades.
Before you get that bad cold or the flu this season, here are a few proven lifestyle changes and home remedies that can help you feel better quickly:
1) Head elevated sleep will help your sinus congestion drain and allow you to breath better so you can get the rest you need to recover. Don’t bother propping yourself up with pillows that you’ve collected from around the house. Propped up pillows will often put stress on your neck and back and can land you in the Chiropractor’s office. Gravity1st Elevated Sleep Systems mattress is the easiest and most comfortable way to get head elevated sleep. It’s there when you need it and can be stored away easily for the next time you or someone in your household needs the relief of head elevated sleep. Since rest is the best way to boost your immune system and allows your body to heal, it is important to get as much quality rest as possible.
2) Drink, drink, drink (water that is): Staying well hydrated by drinking at least 8 cups (64 oz.) of plain water each day. Water keeps your respiratory system hydrated and helps move that thick mucus built-up through your system. Some believe that hot liquids are better than cold for respiratory infections. You can add other liquids besides water but you should avoid coffee, tea with caffeine or alcoholic beverages as they may actually cause dehydration.
3) Warm showers allowing the steam to build up work as your own personal sauna. The steamy air helps to open your airways and moisten the mucus in your sinuses.
4) Nasal saline irrigation or sprays will also thin the mucus build-up to allow better drainage. Nasal rinses are thought to also help flush the virus particles and bacteria from the sinuses.
5) Eating hot chicken soup, especially if it’s loaded with pepper, garlic, hot curry powder or other spices to help thin the mucus in the mouth, throat and lungs.
6) Adding extra spices to your meals. It is found that garlic appears to have antimicrobial and immune-stimulating properties so it may give you relief from your congestion. Ginger has also been found to help fight viral infections. Chili peppers and horseradish are found to contain chemicals similar to one found in decongestants.
7) Humidify your home in the winter. Artificial heat lowers the humidity indoors and creates an environment that allows the influenza virus to thrive.
8) If you have a hacking cough, you may want to try some honey to sleep at night. Honey has been used for a long time in traditional Chinese medicine for coughs. It’s a simple recipe: just mix 1 tablespoon of honey into 1 cup of hot water, stir and enjoy. You can add some lemon juice if you want some more flavor. Lemon is highly acidic and is shown to be an antibacterial, antiviral, anti-fungal and anti-inflammatory. The honey acts as a natural expectorant that promotes the flow of mucus. Drinking some hot Honey water with lemon and sleeping head elevated will certainly provide some relief and allow you to get some much needed rest.
Since the flu can be serious business and potentially deadly, it is important you see your doctor immediately if you’ve had a high fever for more than a day or two or have a severe cough. It is always better to be safe.
When the flu hits, make sure your household is prepared with your Gravity1st Elevated Sleep Systems mattress to allow the best head elevated sleep you can get. Order now!